Sunday, November 6, 2011

ARAAB-MUZIK / SBTRKT Review


November 3rd was the SBTRKT show at Royale Boston. As noted before, this dude has been buzzed about non-stop for the past couple of months in the states and overseas. The show scheduled for 8PM, with synth-electro opener, Araab-Muzik didn’t commence until 10PM. This delay was a surprise for myself and the group of people I was with, along with that fact that Araab-Muzik ceased to impress.  

Araab’s set, which was most-likely only 30 minutes was rushed. He was most likely late to the venue, but luckily, SBTRKT amazed the audience with his electro-soul filled percussion. Another surprise: There were two dudes on stage and SBTRKT’s mask was REALLY small! I was looking forward to seeing an epic tribal mask, such as the one seen in all of his photo shoots. Regardless, he was fast-paced and multi-tasked the whole show, banging on some drums and working with electronic equipment at the same time. The crowd was a weird one…The place didn’t get packed until Araab-Muzik FINALLY showed up. All in all, I think this night was bad luck and swayed my opinion of Araab-Musik’s “amazing” reputation. As for SBTRKT, I was glad he/they went beyond my expectations and sent the audience into another light.

- PETER

No comments:

Post a Comment