Wednesday, October 12, 2011

HARLETT AND HOLLIDAY


“I take after my mother’s entrepreneurship and the craftsmanship of my father.” Karmaloop’s head photographer, Jackie Earhart, who also happens to be my boss, made this statement when talking about her two brands, Holliday and Harlett. Originally from San Antonio Texas, Jackie has been a bad bitch since birth and now, shows this off through her art.

On the side of taking mass photographs all day long for Karmaloop’s retail website, she enjoys working (non-stop) on her crafty projects, such as her many tails of Harlett (literally, TAILS!) and her line of men’s leather wallets, which she collaborates on with her father.

Harlett is a line of women and men’s accessories, but these accessories are most definitely unique. The line features different organic products such as raccoon and rabbit tails, some of which include fades of pink or purple. Harlett also includes rabbit feet, feathers and leather braids. Told you this wasn’t your average accessory line! A lot of times we will joke about seeing “raver” kids dancing the two-step shaking their tails (and again, literal tails) to speedy electronic music. When I first saw her line, the first month of my summer internship at Karmaloop, I was immediately intrigued; yet a lot of times, others react differently.

When I first ordered a raccoon tail from Jackie, and later revealed it to my roommates, one exclaimed, “Pete, that is too much. That is fucking gross.” Well, when I hear (or see) these reactions when wearing the tail in public, I roll my eyes. Sorry guys, you have to have swag to wear Harlett. By the way, my other boss, Tommy wears a raccoon tail that only has a quarter tail actually remaining, while at the same time repping the rabbit foot! SWAG!


Jackie’s other line, Holliday is a set of beautiful, handcrafted leather wallets, shipped straight from south of the border from her father. These wallets are meant for guys, but women can pull them off well. There is a definite western feel to the brand, some, with fades of rich caramel and dark chocolate. There is a leather strap with a snap, so you can attach it to your belt buckle and let it hangout of your butt-pocket with no fear! At work, I often get a taste of the father/daughter business partnership as I hear Jackie stressfully talking to her dad on the phone about which leather dyes to use or what models are priorities to ship to the states.


Earhart recently made a necklace, which at first seems like your average necklace with a cross at the end. You’ll later figure out that this “holy” cross has a small knife inside that can be pulled out in an instant. Told you she was badass.
Holliday and Harlett are available on KARMALOOP.COM and if you want to check out Jackie’s photo-blog (which you should!), visit harleyandharlett.com.



-       

No comments:

Post a Comment